Good news…Pfizer and Moderna bivalent vaccine (protective against the Omicron variant of COVID-19) have been authorized for children 6 months – 5 years old. We know many families are eager to receive these updated bivalent doses…and PANW is eager to offer these to our patients. We have received small quantities of bivalent vaccine from the Oregon Health Authority for this age group. There is a very limited supply across the country so we anticipate that the remaining shipments of our vaccines will be delayed.
To best meet the needs of our patients and avoid re-scheduling appointments due to low vaccine supply, we have opened a waitlist. To be placed on the waitlist, please send a message through our patient portal. The waitlist will be first come, first serve and our team will call you to schedule an appointment time.
Instructions for requesting to be added to the waitlist:
- Log in to your patient portal account
- Click “CREATE MESSAGE” under the Messages heading on the homepage
- Select “COVID Bivalent Booster for Ages 6 months to 4 Years” from the drop-down. Fill out the form, then click “SUBMIT.”
- PANW will be offering only the Moderna bivalent vaccine for ages 6 months – 5 years. We will not be offering the Pfizer bivalent vaccine for 6 month – 4 year olds. See the resources below to find community sites offering the Pfizer vaccine.
- Bivalent booster doses for this age group are NOT interchangeable, which means no “mixing and matching” between the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.
- If a patient has started the series with either brand, they need to finish the series with the same brand. For example, patients who started their primary series with the Moderna vaccine need to get the Moderna bivalent booster. If patients started their primary series with the Pfizer vaccine, they can receive the Pfizer bivalent booster.
- Patients 6 months – 5 years old who have had 1 or more doses of the monovalent vaccine are eligible for the Moderna bivalent vaccine. The timing of the bivalent booster vaccine will depend on if the patient had 1 or 2 doses of the monovalent vaccine (4-8 weeks after their most recent dose).
- Patients 6 months – 5 years old who are unvaccinated are eligible for the Moderna bivalent vaccine as their primary series.
- Due to our limited supply, appointments for these booster doses will be scheduled at our Tigard and Portland offices only. Beaverton patients are welcome to schedule at either of our other offices.
If you are unsure about your child’s vaccination status or when they are eligible for a bivalent vaccine, please contact our office. Updates will be shared here, please check back regularly. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
Community Resources Offering COVID-19 vaccines: