Breastfeeding and Lactation Support
PANW endorses the American Academy of Pediatrics’ advice that babies breastfeed until at least 12 months of age. Although breastfeeding is the best and most natural way to feed your baby, it does not always occur naturally and challenges can occur.
We are here to help you! PANW is committed to providing compassionate, judgement-free, individualized, and evidence-based breastfeeding support. We recommend the guidance of our expert lactation consultants when any of the following issues arise:
- You and your baby are having a difficult time with latch and positioning
- Your breasts or nipples are sore
- You are concerned about your baby’s weight loss or slow weight gain
- You are worried about establishing or maintaining a full milk supply
- You have too little or too much milk
- You are worried about how your baby acts during or after feedings
- You need help with weaning from the nipple shield
- You have a history of breastfeeding difficulty
- You had breast surgery
- You are returning to school or work and you need advice about pumping.
- You have any questions about breastfeeding and/or pumping
Lactation consultants are available Monday through Friday, and in both offices. They are an integrated part of your care team and work in collaboration with your pediatrician to monitor your infant’s growth and overall health.
Jennifer Siebold, Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, is available in Portland and has been with Pediatric Associates of the Northwest since 1997. She has a Master's Degree in Nursing from the Oregon Health and Science University, specialty training in lactation counseling, and 20 years’ experience working with breastfeeding families. Jennifer views her role as one which empowers mothers, supporting them through this major life changing event. “I believe in exploring every option available to the mother. What works for one may not work for another.”
Katie Kennedy, RN, IBCLC started her career as a Neonatal Intensive Care nurse in 2004 where she discovered a passion for helping and educating families about infant feeding. She went on to become an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant and has provided breastfeeding support in a hospital setting since 2013. Katie joined PANW in 2018 in order to work more closely with pediatricians and breastfeeding families of all ages. Her gentle and thorough approach aims to make the breastfeeding experience healthy and rewarding for the entire family. Katie wants you to know that from her perspective “Breastfeeding success is different for everyone and my goal is to help you define and meet your specific breastfeeding goals.” Katie is available in our Tigard office Monday through Friday.
To schedule an appointment, please call:
Portland Office 503-227-0671
Tigard Office 503-968-3480
- Breast Pump Rental Stations http://www.portlandpediatric.com//breast-pump-rental-stations
- Practical Breastfeeding Information and Support http://kellymom.com/
- Nursing Mother’s Counsel http://www.nursingmotherscounsel.org/
- La Leche League http://lalecheleagueoregon.webs.com/
- Haberman feeder demonstration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZOpQ0ME2k